Affects over 5% of the population under the age of 60 and close to 25% of the population over the age of 60.
Sleep Apnea is a condition where a person stops breathing many times during sleep. Undiagnosed and untreated sleep apnea is potentially dangerous to your health and to others.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea, that if left untreated, can lead to:
- High blood pressure
- Heart attack
- Irregular heart beat
- Excessive daytime fatigue
- Poor memory
- Weight gain
- Decreased sexual drive
ARE YOU AT RISK?
- 35 Million Americans have sleep disorders
- 50,000 premature and preventable deaths yearly from sleep apnea
- 200,000 auto accidents each year are sleep related
- Over $15 billion direct costs related to sleep disorder
Despite those figures, it is estimated that 95% of people suffering from sleep disorders remain undiagnosed
Restless Leg Syndrome and Periodic Leg Movement:
- They disturb sleep onset and maintenance
- Could be familiar or unknown
- Uncomfortable sensation in legs with urge to move and difficulty falling asleep
- Has been associated with iron deficiency anemia
- A disease of young adults.
- Genetic and familiar predisposition
- Simply falling asleep everywhere and anytime
- Very dangerous if untreated
- Diagnosis made by a night study followed by five naps the next morning that are 20 minutes each
- Sleep walking
- Sleep talking
- Sleep disorders in young children (3-15 years old)
- Jet lag
- Violent behavior during sleep, nightmares & others